AMANDA VAN WEST
Objective: An editorial position in an organization where a dynamic background in multimedia communications is needed.
Summary: Highly creative, motivated, and versatile multimedia journalist with over six years of arts, entertainment, and multicultural reporting experience. Excellent communicator, with a proven track record of building and maintaining positive client and staff relationships. Skilled in working in foreign environments with limited resources. Areas of expertise include:
- Video Editing – Final Cut Pro, WindowsMovieMaker, iMovie, Compressor, Handbrake, DVD Studio Pro
- Audio Editing – Adobe Audition, Audacity, Cool Edit Pro, GarageBand
- Image Editing – Paint.Net, Photoshop, iPhoto
- Camerawork – Sony PD150, Panasonic 24p, Sony HVR-V1U, Sony Z1, and DSLR cameras
- Audio Recording – Marantz, Burli, Studio Recording
- Blogging and Social Networking – WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Forum Management
- Community Outreach and Management
- Identifying unique content, trends, and developing story ideas
- Served as Executive Cultural Producer for USFtv, and successfully secured press access at major concerts in San Francisco, including the Treasure Island Music Festival.
- Interviewed popular indie rock bands (including Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, and Razorlight) for multiple print, online, and broadcasting outlets.
- Produced engaging radio features, including: “The Facebook Phenomenon”, “Complaints Choir”, and “Disco Health Club.”
- Run The Sound Is The Word blog, focusing on music, arts, and cultural events around the world.
- Produced MA thesis film “California’s Cannabis Culture”: picked as the ‘Film of the Week’ winner for the Once A Week Film Festival; and selected to screen at multiple film festivals in London.
- Produced “Mano Por Mano”, a short documentary about a sustainable architecture project in a rural Nicaraguan village. Spent two months living and working in Mexico and Nicaragua, with limited resources and crew.
- Produced “Anime Comes To Life”, a short documentary about young people fascinated with Japanese pop culture, which was selected to air worldwide on CurrentTV.
- Produced “Gluten-Free 4U + Me”, a quirky documentary short about what it’s like to be gluten-intolerant.
- Worked as a runner for Firecracker Films in London, which included assisting with story research and development, logging and transcribing, music licensing, post-production asset coordination, and working on-set for a Discovery Channel production.
- Volunteer video editor with BayKids, an organization that teaches video production to children at the UCSF Children’s Hospital in San Francisco.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Successfully placed Ustream stories in mainstream news outlets, including BBC, Rolling Stone, and CBS.
- Implemented aggressive marketing campaigns, including the live stream of Michael Jackson’s funeral, which resulted in the biggest traffic event in Ustream’s history.
- Led a worldwide team of Ustream technical volunteers, drove promotional campaigns, and initiated a weekly web chat session to maintain positive relationships with the company and its users.
- Resolved a backlog of thousands of support inquiries, and updated help section copy.
- Placed “California’s Cannabis Culture” documentary in multiple online outlets, which resulted in nearly 20,000 hits.
- Initiated fan site outreach for USFtv’s music television show, “Visionz”, which is the highest-viewed show on USFtv’s YouTube channel.
- Music Journalist San Francisco Foghorn, ThisIsFakeDIY, Popscene SF, and The Sound Is The Word (https://amandavanwest.wordpress.com); Aug 2004-Present.
- Production Assistant Firecracker Films, London, England; Oct-Nov 2010.
- Production Assistant “Hold Me Back” Music Video (Jaymo and Andy George, Dir: Dave Aspinall), London, England; Aug 2010.
- Documentary Filmmaker “California’s Cannabis Culture”, San Francisco, CA; May-Aug 2010.
- Marketing Coordinator Ustream.tv, Mountain View, CA; Feb-Sep 2009.
- Executive Cultural Producer USFtv, University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA; Aug 2007-Dec 2008.
- Media Lab Monitor University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA; Aug-Dec 2008.
- Documentary Filmmaker “Mano Por Mano”, University of San Francisco; Leon, Mexico; Leon, Nicaragua; and San Francisco, CA; Jun-Dec 2008.
- Documentary Filmmaker “Anime Comes To Life”; CurrentTV (first broadcasted on 11/11/08); San Francisco, CA.
- Crew Member, “If I Was President” Music Video (Wyclef Jean, Dir: Alex Platt); Sony Records; San Francisco, CA; Mar 2008.
MA (Merit) International Broadcast Journalism; University of Westminster, London, England Oct 2009-Sep 2010
- Relevant modules included: Documentary and News Production for Radio and TV, Travel Journalism, Arts and Entertainment Reporting, Online Journalism
- Degree Classification: Merit (US equivalent: > 3.5 GPA)
BA (Cum Laude) Media Studies, Minor in Film Studies; University of San Francisco; San Francisco, CA Aug 2004-Dec 2008
- Relevant modules included: Documentary Film Production, Popular Music and Communication, Media Stereotyping and Violence, Media Audience and Research, and Politics and the Media
- Included Spring 2007 semester abroad at Regent’s College in London (British Media), and Summer 2008 semester at Universidad Iberoamericana in Leon, Mexico (Documentary Production)
- GPA: 3.52
Other Skills, Honors, and Interests
- Bilingual/Bicultural in English and Spanish
- University of San Francisco Awards: McCarthy Center Certificate in Public Service (Dec 2008); Crew Member of the Year, USFtv (Dec 2008); Dean’s List (2004-2008).
- Recipient of NAACP Scholarship for Outstanding Leadership, December 2007
- Enjoy making the most of opportunities to travel, including using social networking sites to connect with other travelers
- Keen interest in gluten-free cooking and baking